Towns & Parishes
"Great Barr, three miles SE of Walsall, is a pleasant village, seated on the declivity of the lofty Barr Beacon, which stretches itself out to a considerable extent, and seems like a vast barrier to the country beyond it. The township and chapelry of Great Barr is now a separate ecclesiastical district, and contains 4960 acres and 1087 souls.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
It includes many scattered houses, and the hamlets of Hardwick, Margaret's Lane, Scott's Arms, Snail's Green, Little Aston and Questlett, extending eastward to the extensive heath of Sutton Coldfield. Lord Leigh is lord of the manor, but most of the soil belongs to other proprietors, the largest of whom is Sir Edward Dolman Scott, Bart, who resides at Barr Hall, formerly called Nether House.
Red House, near Snail's Green, is a neat seat belonging to Robert Scott, Esq but occupied by Thomas Bagnall, Esq. On the north side of the chapelry is Aldridge Lodge, the seat of the Rev TB Adams, and near it is a small lake called Bourn Pool, an ancient moated house, and the Hayhead lime works, from which there is a branch to the Wyrley and Essington Canal "
'The Barr Story. A Short History of Great Barr...'
by Richard Dudley Woodall
Published 1951, by Norman A Tector, Streetly.
'History of the Forest & Chase of Sutton Coldfield, including the border districts of
Great Barr, Perry Barr, Erdington, etc (with Genealogical Tables)'
by L Bracken
Published 1860, London, Birmingham.
'A Short History of Holy Name Church, Great Barr'
by Elisabeth Chattell
Published 1982, by Holy Name Church, Great Barr.
The population of Great Barr township was as follows:
1831 -- 859
1841 -- 1087
A full transcript of the 1851 census for Aldridge parish which includes Great Barr has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
"Great Barr Church, (St Margaret), is an elegant structure, standing on an eminence, shaded by a number of lofty elms. It was founded by a Mrs Bromwich, and the six bells were a gift of a Mrs Whitby, but it has since been nearly rebuilt, and ornamented with beautiful painted glass windows.
The benefice is a perpetual curacy, or donative, in the patronage of Sir ED Scott, Bart, and incumbency of the Rev. Wm Hy Scott, MA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church was entirely rebuilt, with the exception of the tower and spire in 1860.
The church of St Margaret, Great Barr, was a chapelry of Aldridge parish, details of which can be found on the Aldridge parish page.
Church of England Registers
The register of St Margaret commences in 1654. The original registers for the period 1654-date are with the incumbent.
Bishops Transcripts, 1664-1870 (with gaps 1810-12 & 1853-63) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A manuscript copy of the register for the period 1654-1749 is available at the William Salt Library, Stafford. An indexed copy for this period is held at the Society of Genealogists Library.
A transcription of the section on Great Barr from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
The parish became part of Walsall Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
Electoral registers for the parliamentary constituency of which Great Barr formed part are shown below together with dates. The registers are held at Staffordshire Record Office.
South Staffs 1844, 1845-1867
East Staffs 1868-1884
Handsworth Division 1885-1888, 1892-1908
[Last updated: 13th August 2014, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2014]