Towns & Parishes
"Hilderstone is a township and chapelry (of Stone parish), in the Hilderstone Quarter of Stone parish, four and a half miles ENE of Stone. Hilderstone Hall, a neat mansion on a pleasant declivity, on the east side of the village, is the seat of John Bourne Esq, the lord of the manor of Hilderstone."[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The population of Hilderstone township was as follows:
1841 -- 501
"Hilderstone church (Christ Church), is a handsome Gothic structure, consecrated in 1833. The exterior walls are of excellent stone, from Hollington quarry, and at the west end is a tower, surmounted by a neat spire, forty feet in height. The east window is richly ornamented with stained glass, by Collins of London.
The benefice is a perpetual curacy in the patronage of J Bourne, Esq, and incumbency of the Rev RB Baker, MA, rural dean of Stone.
Here is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1822"
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Christ Church, Hilderstone formed a chapelry of Stone parish, details of which can be found on the Stone parish page.
Church of England Registers
The register of Christ Church, Hilderstone, commences in 1813. The original registers for the period 1830-date remain with the incumbent.
Bishops Transcripts, 1833-1871 (entries also under Stone) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A map showing the pre-1850 boundaries of Hilderstone Chapelry
The chapelry became part of Stone Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 8th August 2014, Mike Harbach. ©1999 - 2014]