"Whitmore is a neat rural village, in a deep romantic valley, four and a half miles SSW of Newcastle-under-Lyme, comprising within its parish 367 inhabitants, and about 3350 acres of land. It has now a post office, and a first class railway station on the Grand Junction portion of the London & North Western Railway, since the opening of which the village has been much improved. Captain Rowland Mainwaring, RN, owns most of the parish, and is lord of the manor. He resides at Whitmore Hall, a handsome mansion standing in a well-wooded park."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The population of Whitmore parish was as follows:
1801 -- 234
1831 -- 281
1841 -- 36
"The Church, St Mary & All Saints, is a small ancient edifice, with a half-timbered turret, and was a chapel of ease to Stoke-upon-Trent until 1807. The benefice is a rectory in the patronage of Captain Rowland Mainwaring, and the Rev CH Mainwaring, BA, is the incumbent."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Church of England Registers
The register of the parish church of St Mary & All Saints commences in 1558. The original registers for the period 1558-1957 (Bapts), 1558-1964 (Mar), & 1558-1898 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1674-1838 (with gaps 1676-80, 1747-55, 1795-1805, & 1836-37) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Whitmore which are provided by: