"HENLEY-IN-ARDEN, a chapelry, post, and market town in the parish of Wootton Wawen, Henley division of the hundred of Barlichway, county Warwick, 6 miles from the Knowle station on the Great Western railway, 8 from Stratford-upon-Avon, and 14 from Birmingham. It is a town of great antiquity, and was partially burnt at the battle of Evesham in the reign of Henry II. It took the adjunct to its name from its position in the forest of Arden, a large tract of woodland extending over part of Warwickshire and the adjoining counties. It is situated on the river Alne, near the Birmingham canal, and is a polling place for South Warwickshire."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Henley in Arden from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.