|There were 15 townships that later became
separate parishes: Kendal, Helsington,
Natland, New Hutton, Old Hutton, Grayrigg, Selside, Burneshead, Long Sleddale, Kentmere, Crook, Winster, Staveley, Ings [Hugill],
It formerly even included Windermere and Grasmere.
parish of Kirkby in Kendale is very extensive, comprehanding 24
townships or constablewicks, viz. Kendal, Helsington,, Natland ,
Scalthwaite Rigg (including Hay and Hutton in the Hay), New Hutton ,
Old Hutton and Holme Scales, Docker, Lambrigg, Grayrigg ,
Whinfell, Fawcet Forest, Whitwell and Selside
, Slelsmergh and Patton, Burmeshead , Strickland Roger,
Strickland Ketel, Long Sleddale , Kentmere , Crook
, Winster, Over Staveley, Nether Staveley, Hugill, Underbarrow and
Bradley Field; and some of these, for convenience, have been
subdivided:- And 15 chapelries, viz. Kendal, Helsington,
Hutton, Old Hutton,
[Hugill], and Underbarrow.
This parish was anciently larger; for Windermere and Gresmere were parts thereof, though now they have obtained by reputation the name of distinct parishes, and are the only rectories within the barony of Kendale.
It is bounded on the East by the parishes of Shap, Orton, Sedberg, and Kirkby Lonsdale; on the South, by the parishes of Kirkby Lonsdale, Burton, and Heversham; on the West, by the parishes of Heversham and Windermere; and on the North, by the parishes of Windermere, Gresmere, and Orton.
The church of Kendal stands in Kirkland, from whence the place hath received its name. It is a very large, neat, and handsome building, and contains every Sunday as large a congregation, as almost any parish church in the kingdom. It is 180 feet long, and 99 feet in breadth; with five alleys, each of them being parted by a row of 8 fair pillars; and with a strong square steeple, wherein there are 6 large and very tunable bells.
It is a vicarage, in the patronage of Trinity college in Cambridge
Helsington [is] below Kendal, on the West side of the river Kent.
Advancing Eastward from Helsington, we come to Natland, which is a small manor or lordship, containing only about 30 families [in 1777]. It seems to have had its name from the Nativi or bondmen probably placed there, as attendent upon the capital lord at Kendal castle to do servile offices, like as the inhabitants of Bongate nigh Appleby, or the Drengage tenants nigh Brougham castle. The chapelry also of Natland is commensurate to the manor.
Old Hutton, New Hutton, and Holme Scales... At first there was only one general name of Hutton. The distinction between Old and New Hutton seems to have come in about the beginning of the reign of king Edward the first [c.1272]. Holme Scales is in the parish of Burton; being, as the name imports, scales or huts belonging to Holme in that parish. But for the sake of vicinity and convenience, Holme Scales hath for a long time been annexed to Old Hutton, and is now deemed part of that township or constablewick.
Docker.. this place claims, and in some respects exerciseth, a privilege of exemption from ecclesiastical jursidiction; but by whom, or in what instances, the same hath been granted, we have not found.
Lambrigg... This perhaps might be the place to which they carried their lambs at certain seasons. For many places received their name of distinction from such like circumstances; as Sheepshead, Ramsbottom, Ewbank, Stirkland, Cowbrow, Oxenholme, and the like.
Dillaker... Adjoining to lambrigg on the East, is the hamlet of Dillaker; of which we have met with no particular account.
Grayrigg... Having now advanced to the Eastern extremity of the parish of Kendal, we incline Northwards to the manor of Grayrigg; so called probably from being frequented by badgers, brocks, or grays; as on the east side of the river Lune, opposite thereto, is a place which yet bears the name of Brockholes. The hollow between is called Grayrigg-hause, from haustus perhaps, which signifies a draught; even as yet a throat or gulley is by the common people called a hause. There is a meeting-house in Grayrigg belonging to the Quakers.
Grayrigg, travelling northwards, along the eastern extremity of the
parish, we come to Whinfell; which carries its own derivation along
© Peter Turner licensed under Creative Commons
Holy Trinity. Impressive 5-aisled church possibly widest in country. Includes C13th arcade. Also C15, 16 and 19th work. Oldest feature is C9th cross-shaft. C15th black marble font. Fine monuments and brasses including tomb of Catherine Parr's grandfather.
This and other
photographs on Geograph
Church plans from ICBS archive 1837-41
are on Church Plans Online (Lambeth Palace Library).
St Thomas. 1837 also by Webster.
and architectural notes on National Heritage List
(English Heritage site).
|St John Baptist Skelsmergh |
1871 by Joseph Birtley
Church plans (1869-71) from ICBS
archive on Church Plans Online (Lambeth Palace Library).
The following registers have been transcribed by Roland Grigg (available through Wayback Machine Internet Archive) :
Baptisms 1596 - 99,
Marriages and Burials 1591 - 99 and Baptisms 1607 - 31
and these registers are included in a combined Cumbrian parish register index (available through Wayback Machine Internet Archive): .
Last updated November 2013 Dave Huddart