"LANGDALE, a chapelry, comprising Great and Little Langdale, in the parish of GRASMERE, KENDAL ward, county of WESTMORLAND, 8 miles (S.E. by .) from Orton, containing 317 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Rector of Grasmere. The chapel is situated at Great Langdale, and another once stood at a place now called Chapel-Mire, in Little Langdale. On a hill called Wreynose are placed three stones, denominated shire-stones, and marking the point at which the counties of Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancaster, meet and terminate. . . . A school was erected, in 1824, by the Gunpowder Company, in consideration of ground granted to them for the establishment of their manufactory."
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]