National Gazetteer (1868) - Boyton
BOYTON, a parish in the hundred of Heytesbury, in the county of Wilts, 3 miles to the S.E. of Heytesbury, its post town, and 7 from Warminster. The Salisbury branch of the Great Western railway passes near it. The parish is situated on the south side of the river Willy, a branch of the Nadder, and contains the hamlet of Corton. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Salisbury, of the value of £549, in the patronage of the President and Fellows of Magdalen College, Oxford. The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, is a good specimen of early English architecture, and has been recently restored. It was erected in 1301, and contains a fine circular window and an ancient font. There are some small charitable endowments. Boyton House, the old seat of the Lamberts, was built in 1618.
CORTON, (or Cortington), a township in the parish of Boyton, hundred of Heytesbury, in the county of Wilts, 1 mile S. of Heytesbury, and 1 N.W. of Boyton. It belongs to the Lambert family.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]