Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Colerne
"COLERNE, a parish in the hundred of Chippenham, in the county of Wilts, 8 miles S.W. of Chippenham, and 2 N. of the Box station of the Great Western line. The village is situated on the ancient Fosse Way, and was burnt in 17 70, but has been rebuilt. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £92, in the patronage of the Warden of New College, Oxford. The church, which is situated on a hill, is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. It is an ancient edifice, partly in the Gothic and partly in the Norman styles of architecture. The charities amount to £32 per annum, besides 25 acres of allotment ground. The Independents have a place of worship, and there are National schools for both sexes. The manorial rights are vested in the scholars of New College, Oxford. There are ancient camps at Colerne Down and Colerne Park."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]