National Gazetteer (1868) - Horningsham
"HORNINGSHAM, a parish in the hundred of Heytesbury, county Wilts, 4½ miles S.W. of Warminster, its post town, and 5½ S.E. of Frome. The parish, which is small, is situated on the borders of Somersetshire. From one of the hills a view is obtained over portions of the counties of Wilts, Dorset, and Somerset. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Sarum, value £215, in the patronage of the Bishop of Salisbury. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was rebuilt in 1845 at the expense of the Marchioness of Bath, and has an oak roof and old tower. The charities produce about £41 per annum, of which £31 goes to Cray's schools. The Independents have a chapel. There is a National school, and a school supported by the Marquis of Bath. Longleat House, the principal residence, in an extensive park, is chiefly situated in the parish of Longbridge Deverill. It is the scat of the Marquis of Bath, who is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]