National Gazetteer (1868) - Orcheston St George
"ORCHESTON ST. GEORGE, a parish in the hundred of Heytesbury, county Wilts, 7 miles N.W. of Amesbury, the same distance E. of Lavington, and 12 S. by E. of Devizes, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the road between Salisbury and Devizes, traversing Salisbury Plain, and is wholly agricultural. The parish includes the hamlet of Elston. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £493 13s. 4d., and the glebe comprises 36 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Sarum, value £485, in the patronage of Wadham College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. George, is an ancient structure, with E. and W. windows of stained glass. It was erected in the 14th century, but was completely restored in 1833. There is a National school. R. S. Chapman, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"ELSTON, a tything in the parish of Orcheston St. George, hundred of Heytesbury, county Wilts, 6 miles N.W. of Amesbury."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]