|Yorkshire||The AinstyYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WIGHILL, a parish, 3 miles N. of Tadcaster. The family of Stapleton possessed this estate upwards of 500 years, but it is now the property of Richard Fountayne Wilson, Esq. lord of the manor. The parish church, which is dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph), and of which Mr. Richard Fountayne Wilson is the patron, and the Rev. T. M. Shann the vicar, is pleasantly situated on a commanding eminence, contiguous to the village. Pop. 250."
"EASDIKE, a farm house in the parish of Wighill; 1.5 miles NW. of Tadcaster."
"EAST FOLLIFOOT, in the parish of Wighill, now lost."
"MOATHOUSE, a farm house in the parish of Wighill; 3 miles NW. of Tadcaster."
"WIGHILL PARK, in the township and parish of Wighill; (the residence of Richard Yorke, Esq,) 4 miles from Tadcaster and Wetherby, 9 from York. The family of Stapleton, of which there have been a succession of many worthy Knights, hath long been in possession of this estate. Sir Robert Stapleton, who was Sheriff of this county 23 Elizabeth, met the Judges with seven score men in suitable liveries. He was descended of Sir Miles Stapleton, one of first founders of the Garter, and Sheriff for five years together, from 29 Edward III. --Sir John Harrington, in his book, addressed to Prince Henry, gives him this great character: "Sir Robert Stapleton, a Knight of Yorkshire, when your Highness hath often seen, was a man well spoken of; had scarce an equal, and no superior, in England, except Sir Philip Sidney." The Church of Wighill, was given to the Priory of Helagh-Park, in the year 1291. --Drake. The estate is now the property of Richard Fountayne Wilson, Esq.(from Langdale's Yorkshire Topographical Dictionary.(1822)]"