|Yorkshire||East RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BISHOP BURTON, (otherwise South Burton) a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; 3 miles W of Beverley. (Bishop Burton Hall, the seat of Richard Watt, Esq. and nearly adjoining, is the seat of Francis Watt, Esq.) The church, dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph), is a discharged vicarage in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of York. Here is a small Baptist chapel, with a Sunday school in which one hundred children receive instruction. Hanby's hospital accommodates six poor persons, and there is a small endowed school for ten boys. Population 534.
Christopher Wandesforde, Viscount Castlecomer, an upright statesman was born here, in 1592, and died in 1640. His works were printed in 1777 and 1778, under the care of the great great grandson, Thomas Comber, L.L.D."
"KILLINGWOLD GRAVE, or GROVE, now (2001) Killingwoldgraves, a farm house in the parish of Bishop Burton, and wapentake of Harthill; 1 mile ESE. of Bishop Burton, 2 miles W. of Beverley. There are many marks of antiquity about this place, and it appears, from Tanner's Not. Mon. that there was here an old hospital, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, chiefly for women, before the year 1169. Human skeletons are frequently dug up here, and about thirty-five years ago a Saxon tombstone was found with the remains of three bodies beneath it. Near the village, on the road leading to Beverley, is a stone cross, called Stump Cross, bearing a Saxon inscription, which may be thus translated: "Pray for the soul of William de Walter." The only inhabitant in the village above the rank of a labourer is Mr. John Johnson, farmer."