|Yorkshire||East RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BUBWITH, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill, a part in the liberty of St Peter's; 6 miles NNW. of Howden: pleasantly situated on the banks of the Derwent, over which it has a good stone bridge of ten arches erected in 1793. The church (see Churches for photograph) has two medieties, one given by Guarin de Bubwith to the Dean and Chapter of York, who are patrons of the vicarage. The other by John de Mowbray, Lord of Axholme, to the Abbey of Byland, the crown being patron thereof. Here is a Methodist chapel, with a good Sunday school attached. The ground in this neighbourhood is remarkably fertilized by the overflowings of the Derwent, and yields abundance, not to be surpassed except on the banks of the Nile. Nicholas de Bubwith, Bishop of Bath and Wells, resided here, and he was one of the English prelates, that attended the council of Constance, when John Huss and Jerome of Prague, were condemned to the flames. Population, 540."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Spaldington Outside