|Yorkshire||East Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"HOLLYM, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 2 miles NE. of Patrington. This village is pleasantly situated on a small eminence. The present church (see Churches for photograph) was built in the year 1814, by the vicar, the Rev. Charles Barker, M.A. and is dedicated to St. Nicholas. Pop. 260."
"RYSOME, in the township of Holmpton, and parish of Hollym; (the seat of George Henry Sherwood, Esq.); 2¼ miles SSE. of Hollym, 4 miles from Patrington, 13 from Hedon."
"WITHERNSEA, in the parish of Hollym, wap, and liberty of Holderness; 1½ miles N. of Hollym, 4 miles NE. of Patrington. A small village situated near the sea, the church has long been a ruin; formerly it was a magnificent building, and is supposed to have been suffered to decay, as the village from its decrease in wealth and population, was unable to support so large and costly a structure. This is one of the sister churches, and is dedicated to St. Nicholas (see Churches for photograph). In the records of the reign of king John, it is mentioned that there was a priory here subordinate to the abbey of Albemarle, in France. Pop. 108."