Parish main page
Wapentake of Harthill (South Hunsley Beacon Division) - County Council Electoral Division Welton - Petty Sessional Division of South Hunsley Beacon - Poor Law Union of Sculcoates - County Court District of Hull - Rural Deanery of Howden - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
Kirk Ella is one of the three counties that formerly constituted Hullshire, or the county of the town of Kingston-upon-Hull, but was, by an Act of Parliament passed in 1838, annexed to the Hunsley Beacon Division of the Harthill wapentake. The parish comprises the township of its own name, and that of West Ella, as well as the greater part of those of Anlaby and Willerby. By a Local Government Order, dated December 16th, 1878, a detached portion of Kirk Ella and also a detached portion of West Ella were amalgamated with the parish of Newington. The township of Kirk Ella contains 980 acres, and is valued for rating purposes at £3,422. There were, in 1891, 354 inhabitants. The soil is clayey, and the subsoil clay; and wheat, oats, barley, and beans, are largely grown. Charles Percy Sykes, Esq., J.P., West Ella Hall, is lord of the manor and principal landowner; the other proprietors are Arthur Egginton, Esq., J.P., South Ella; John Smyth Egginton, Esq., Kirk Ella; John Fisher, Esq., J.P., Willerby; and Richard Willows, Esq., of Willerby.
At the time of the Domesday Survey, Kirk Ella, or Elvele, as then known, formed part of the manor of North Ferriby, which was held by Ralph de Mortimer. The Tysons and the Vescis appear to have possessed land here at an early period, but it is often impossible to trace the descent of estates in those faroff times. Gilbert Tyson gave the church of St. Andrew and the tithes to Selby Abbey. In the reign of Edward II., the Wakes, lords of Cottingham, were owners of the greater part of Kirk Ella and West Ella, but how it came into their possession is not known.
The village stands about four miles west from Hull, and in close proximity to Willerby and Kirk Ella stations, on the Hull, Barnsley, and West Riding Junction railway. The church, which is dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient building of stone in the Early Gothic and Perpendicular styles, and consists of chancel, with side chapel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, and a western tower in the Perpendicular style. The nave is divided from the aisles by arcades of four pointed arches; those on the north spring from circular pillars, and those on the south from octagonal columns. The clerestory is lighted by four pointed windows of three lights on each side, and appears to have been rebuilt in the Decorated period. The windows of the chancel are filled with stained glass, as also are several of those in the aisles and nave. The elongation of the north aisle forms the Legard chapel, which is divided from the chancel by two pointed arches, and from the aisle by an oak screen. It is now used as an organ chamber and vestry, and contains several tablets to the memory of the Sykes family. On the north wall of the chancel is a beautiful monument of white marble to Joseph Sykes, Esq., merchant, alderman and twice mayor of Hull, who died in 1805. Commerce is represented, seated on the base, with a ship, bales of goods, hammer and anvil, &c.; above is a rock and sarcophagus, and a figure of the deceased rising; and there are representations of Religion, Justice, and Charity. This monument was executed by J. Bacon, junr. There is also a monument by Chantrey, in memory of Daniel Sykes, Esq., formerly M.P. for Hull. It bears a well-executed bust of that distinguished statesman and philanthropist. The tower is of later date than the rest of the church. In the west front is a niche with a statue of St. Andrew holding his X shaped cross; and on the south side, near the top, is inscribed "I, John Berry, built this church. Pray for the soul of John Berry." The tower contains a clock and six bells, which were presented in 1883 by Arthur Egginton in memory of his mother; there are also memorial windows and tablets to the same family. The registers date from the year 1558.
The living is a vicarage, and, as before stated, was given at an early period to Selby Abbey; and in the reign of Edward III. it was transferred to the newly founded monastery of Haltemprice, by Thomas, Lord Wake, of Lydell, who gave to the monks of Selby lands in Hessle in exchange. It was appropriated to the monastery and a perpetual vicarage ordained, the ministerial functions being performed by one of the canons of Haltemprice. On the dissolution of that house the patronage reverted to the Crown, and was granted by Henry VIII. to Sir Ralph Ellerker. The present patron is the Rev. Richard Henry Foord, B.A., rector of Foxholes, and the Rev. James Foord, M.A., of Brasenose College, Oxford, is the vicar. The gross value of the living is £500, including 44 acres of glebe, with residence.
The churchyard is now full, and about half-an-acre of land has been acquired for conversion into a cemetery. It is situated about half-a-mile south of the church.
There is a well-built school for the children of Kirk Ella, West Ella, and Willerby. It will accommodate 140, and has an average attendance of 103. There is a reading room and library in connection with the church.
A Convalescent Home for seven patients is supported by Mrs. Dora Barkworth, of South Lea, Avant, Hants.
WOLFRETON, is a hamlet adjoining Kirk Ella on the east, and partly in this parish.
The poor have the rents of 8a. 37p. of land, awarded at the enclosure in lieu of several parcels of land left by Francis Wright in 1674, and the dividends on £189 16s. 9d. in the new three-and-a-half per cent. annuities, purchased with £200 left by John Marshall in 1803. Ellen Whiting, by will dated 1850, gave £20 to the incumbent for the time being, the interest thereof to be applied in cleaning and repairing the family vault, the residue if any to be given to the poor.
WEST ELLA is a township adjoining Kirk Ella, containing 570 acres, belonging chiefly to Charles Percy Sykes, Esq., J.P., who is also lord of the manor. The rateable value is £759, and the population is 152. The village is small, and stands about six miles west from Hull. The pebble-dashed cottages, with their diamond-shaped window panes and trim-kept gardens, give the place a quaintly picturesque appearance. There is a small Wesleyan chapel in the village.
ANLABY township is partly in this parish and partly in Hessle. Its area is returned at 2,020 acres, and its rateable value at £5,837. The population at the last census was 749. Charles Percy Sykes, Esq., J.P., West Ella Hall, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The other proprietors are Arthur Egginton, Esq., J.P., South Ella; Mrs. Voase, Anlaby House; Arthur Wilson, Esq., J.P., M.F.H., Tranby Croft; and W. Ringrose Voase, Esq., J.P., Hants.
The village is small, and stands about four miles west from Hull and one mile from Kirk Ella station, on the Hull, Barnsley, and West Riding Junction railway. The church of St. Peter is a chapel-of-ease to Kirk Ella. It is a brick structure, in the Gothic style, built in 1865, and restored and enlarged in 1885. It comprises chancel, nave, aisles, organ chamber, vestry, south porch, and bell turret, containing one bell. The aisles are divided from the nave by five arches springing from circular stone piers, and an elegant arch separates the chancel from the nave. The clerestory is lighted by five double-light windows on each side, and most of the other windows are filled with stained glass. A three-light window in the north wall of the chancel and the four-light window in the west wall of the nave are memorials of the Voase family; and there is a two-light window in the north aisle, executed in the highest style of the art, to the memory of Thomas Raymond Wilson. Above the communion table is a beautifully carved oak reredos, divided into three bays, filled in with handsome needlework flowers on a dark ground; at each side is the figure of an angel. It is a memorial of Edward James Smith, and was presented by his daughter, Mary Wilson; and the carved oak stalls of the chancel were also given by the same lady and her brother, James Smith, in memory of their father. The pulpit is a very fine piece of work in Caen stone and green Purbeck marble, presented by Mr. and Mrs. Bailey, in memory of their son, William Albert Bailey, who died in 1882; and the brass lectern is a memorial of Mrs. Badger Bailey, late of Winestead, formerly of Anlaby. The Rev. Alfred Barber, M.A., Durham, is the curate-in-charge.
The Wesleyan chapel, a brick building capable of seating 200 persons, was erected in 1884, at a cost of £800, in lieu of an old one, now converted into a joiner's shop. The Primitive Methodists built a new chapel in 1863. The National school (mixed) was built in 1885, for 160 children, and has an average attendance of 118.
There are several excellent residences in the village and neighbourhood. "The Mansion" is the residence of Walter S. Bailey, Esq., J.P. and D.L., and the Old Hall, once the home of the Legards, and still the property of that family, is occupied by Mr. Walter Spurr Palmer, farmer.
Tranby Croft, the seat and property of Arthur Wilson, Esq., J.P., M.F.H., is a handsome modern mansion of white brick, with stone dressings, and an elegant entrance of carved stone. It stands in a small park, through which there is a carriage drive nearly a mile long, bordered by a close-cropped lawn, picturesquely varied by clumps of trees and shrubberies. The gardens cover 34 acres, and the glass houses include orchid houses, plant stove, vineries, peach houses, green houses, rosaries, ferneries, conservatory, &c. The most noteworthy feature of the flower garden is the magnificent carpet-bed with raised centre-piece. The mansion is lighted throughout by electricity, which can be stored for use for several hours, and fire-extinguishing appliances are fitted up both inside and out on the most complete scale. There is an extensive range of stabling, forming a hollow square, apart from the house, and near stands a lofty tower, with engine and pump, for supplying the place with water. A new private swimming bath has just been erected for the use of all on the Tranby estate. It is 60 feet long by 21 feet wide, and is fitted up with every convenience. The Prince of Wales spent two or three days at Tranby Croft in 1890.
SOUTH ELLA, the property and residence of Arthur Egginton, Esq., J.P., is a large mansion of white brick, built about 90 years ago. It is surrounded by a well-wooded park over 100 acres in extent. About a quarter of a mile from the house is the Model Farmstead, built about seven years ago, from the designs of the late Mr. Coleman, of York. Here is kept one of the finest herds of black Aberdeen Angus cattle (50 in number) in England. Mr. Egginton has been a successful exhibitor at all the principal shows in the kingdom, and during the present year (1891), up to August 12th, five first and two championship prizes have come to South Ella. Two of these firsts were obtained at the Royal Show at Doncaster; a first and champion were awarded at Stirling to his champion bull Epsom, which weighed 16½ cwts., and also won the Highland Society's Silver Medal; and two firsts and a championship were carried off at the great Yorkshire show at Bradford. The farm is under the care of Mr. James Dunbar, farm bailiff.
WILLERBY, is a township partly in the parish of Kirk Ella and partly in that of Cottingham. It contains 982 acres of land, and is valued for rating purposes at £3,649. The population, according to the 1-ecent census, is 719. The land belongs chiefly to the Corporation of Hull; the trustees of the late Dr. Kelburn King; F. B. Grotrian, M.P., Hessle; John. Smyth Egginton, Esq., J.P., Kirk Ella; and Captain Egginton. The village stands on the road from Hessle to Beverley, three-and-a-half miles from the former, five-and-a-half from the latter town, and half-a-mile from Kirk Ella. Between the two villages is a station called "Willerby and Kirk Ella," on the Hull, Barnsley, and West Riding Junction railway. About half-a-mile north of Willerby is the Hull Borough Asylum for the Insane. The buildings cover a large area and resemble a small village when seen from a distance, with a lofty church tower rising from the centre.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.