Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades
for BARTON in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.
- Post, Money Order, Telegraph Office, and Savings Bank, Barton; W. Richardson, postmaster.
Letters via Darlington arrive at 8-5 am.; and are despatched at 4-45 and 8-55 p.m.
(weekdays only). The Telegraph department is open from 8-0 a.m. to 8-0 p.m., week-days, and
from 8-0 to 10-0 a.m. on Sundays.
Miscellany of trades
- Allen Thomas, vict. and farmer, King William
- Athey John, saddler
- Bayles William, stonemason
- Copeland Thos., grocer, draper, and cowkeeper
- Corless Thomas, cab proprietor & vict., Shoulder of Mutton
- Dent Miss Sarah, grocer
- Fairey Joseph, joiner
- Fawcett Anthony, shopkeeper
- Fawcett George, flour merchant
- Fowler Rev. Robert, vicar, The Vicarage
- Heavisides William, joiner
- Heslop The Misses Jane, Mary Ann, and Elizabeth, Barton lodge
- Hildreth George, schoolmaster
- Hoggett Thomas, carter
- Howe Joseph, goods agent to the Merrybent & Darlington Railway Co., Barton station
- Malthouse Thomas, blacksmith
- Moody William, joiner and cartwright
- Nattrass Charles, basket maker
- Pate Thomas, whitesmith
- Pattison W., corn and flour mrcht., Barton mill
- Reading Room and Library; G. H. Hildreth, sec.
- Richardson H., vict. and joiner, Voltigour Inn
- Richardson William, tailor, draper, grocer, and postmaster, Post office
- Robinson C. R., Esq., J.P., Bretaneby manor
- Robinson Mrs. Dinah, coal agent
- Robinson Mrs. Isabella, vict., Half Moon
- Robinson James Harding, butcher
- Robinson Miles M., builder and contractor
- Robinson William, shopkeeper
- Stelling George Fabricus, gent.
- Wade William, shoemaker
- Whitwell Edward Robson, Esq., Barton hall
- Barker George, Under Kneeton
- Bradley George (and collector of income tax and land tax), Barton grange
- Brentley Robert (and carter)
- Clement William, Limekiln farm
- Corner John, Bretaneby farm
- Hall Edward
- Harding William, Wathurn
- Hutchinson John, Hinkle
- Johnson Henry (and carter)
- Legg Thomas, Moor house
NEWTON MORRELL TOWNSHIP.
Miscellany of trades
- Rowlandson Samuel, Esq., J.P., chairman of the Richmond District Highway Board (since 1868),
senior vice-chairman of Darlington Board of Guardians, commissioner of taxes for Darlington
Ward of the County of Durham, representative of the Gilling Division of North Riding
County Council, and chairman of the Works, Highways, and Bridges Committee of North
Riding County Council, Newton Morrell
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©CRH 2006
If you find an error (small or large) in the text or a bad link, please drop me a line via
my error reporting form.
[Last updated at 20.53 on Thursday, 01 August 2013, by Colin Hinson. ©2013]