Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for BURNESTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

BURNESTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"BURNESTON, a parish, in the wapentake of Hallikeld, in the North Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the S. E. of Bedale, its post town. It is crossed by the Bedale and Leyburn branch of the North-Eastern railway, and there are stations at Newton and Leeming Lane. The parish comprises the chapelry of Leeming-with-Exelby, and the townships of Carthorp, Gatenby, Newton, and Theakstone. Leeming Lane, on the E. side of the parish, is a branch of the ancient Iknield Street. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, of the annual value of £546, in the patronage of the Duke of Cleveland. The church is dedicated to St. Lambert. There is also a district church at Leeming, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £120, in the patronage of the vicar. In the village are a chapel for Wesleyan Methodists, a free school, founded in 1852, and an almshouse for six aged persons, founded and endowed about 1688 by Matthew Robinson. The other charities produce about £20 a year."


"CARTHORP, a township in the parish of Burneston, wapentake of Hallikeld, in the North Riding of the county of York, 9 miles to the W. of Thirsk. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel in the village, and there is a charitable bequest for the poor, but of small amount. In the vicinity is a Roman entrenchment."


"EXELBY, a township in the parish of Burneston, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 2 miles E. of Bedale. The Leeming Bar station is 2½ miles to the N.E. of the village. The Wesleyans have a chapel."


"GATENBY, a township in the parish of Burneston, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 4 miles E. of Bedale, and a short distance from the Leeming Lane rail way station."


"LEEMING, a hamlet and chapelry in the parish of Burneston, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 1¾ mile N,E. of Bedale, its post town, and 1 S. of the Leeming Bar railway station. The village, which is small, is situated on the Roman way Ermine Street, called here Leeming Lane. It is joined to the village of Exelby. The petty sessions for the division are held at the Oak-tree inn. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £120, in the patronage of the Vicar of Burneston. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an edifice built of red brick, containing one bell. There is a National school. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have places of worship."


"NEWTON, a township in the parish of Burneston, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 3 miles S.E. of Bedale. It is joined with Exelby and Leeming."


"THEAKSTONE, a township in the parish of Burneston, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 3 miles S.E. of Bedale, and 31 S. of Leeming-lane railway station."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013