Carlton In Cleveland
Parish main page
Wapentake of Langbaurgh (West Division) - Poor Law Union, County Court District and Electoral Division of Stokesley - Petty Sessional Division of Langbaurgh West - Rural Deanery of Northallerton - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
Carlton parish, distinguished as Carlton-in-Cleveland, is situated on the north side of the Cleveland hills, whose rugged moorlands cover nearly one-third of its area. The rocks in this mountain waste are of an aluminous character, and extensive works were formerly carried on for the extraction of the alum. The land under assessment is estimated at 1,200 acres, of which the gross rental is £1,956, and rateable value, £1,774. The inhabitants number 253. The soil is loamy, with a subsoil of clay, and the crops chiefly cultivated are wheat, beans, and oats.
The manor of Carlton has passed through several families. At an early period it belonged to the Meynells, afterwards to the D'arcies and Strangwaies. In 1426, in an Inquisition post mortem, it is enumerated among the possessions of Ralph Neville, first Earl of Westmoreland, and it remained with that family until the death of John Neville, Marquis of Montague, at the battle of Barnet, in 1471, when, in consequence of his attainder, all his estates were confiscated. This manor with others was granted to Richard, Duke of Gloucester, who had married Ann Neville, the marquis's niece. The subsequent descent has not been clearly traced, In the reign of Charles I. it belonged to the Bruce family, but it has now for many years been in the possession of the Reeves, the present owner being Mrs. Martha Reeves, Regent's Park, Southampton. The following gentlemen have also estates here, viz., J. Sutton, Esq., Hilton Hall, Stockton; Rev. G. F. Marwood; William Scarth, Esq., Carlton; and James Emerson, Esq., Easby Hall, Stokesley.
The village, three miles S. by W. of Stokesley, is situated at the foot of Carlton Bank, with many picturesque and romantic surroundings. The old church described by Ord, in his History of Cleveland, as "a singular and extraordinary structure, the steeple like a Norman tower, the nave and chancel little better than a shepherd's hut," was rebuilt in 1880-1 by subscription, in the cruciform style, with bell turret rising from the intersection of the nave and transepts. On the 19th of October in the latter year, only a few months after the completion of the edifice, the church was destroyed by fire, the origin of which was never ascertained, and it now lies in ruins, no attempt having been made to rebuild it. The living, formerly a perpetual curacy, now a vicarage, is in the gift of the lord of the manor, and held by the Rev. G. Sanger, who is non-resident, but holds an occasional service in the ruins. The religious wants of the parish are ministered to by the vicar of Faceby, whose church the inhabitants now attend, and who, for a period of five years (April, 1882, to April, 1887), held services in the schoolroom. The income, as returned in the Diocesan Calendar, is £84 per annum.
The Wesleyan Methodists have a small chapel in the village, erected in 1817, and renovated internally in 1878, at a cost of £50.
CHARITIES. - Christopher Prissick left a rent-charge of 50s. a year to the poor, out of lands at Carlton and Faceby, which is distributed by the overseers every Christmas; and Medd Scarth, in 1818, bequeathed £1,000, in equal shares of £250 each, to the poor of the townships of Carlton, Moorsholm, Stanghow, and Skelton. This legacy is invested in the 3½ per cent. consols, and the dividends are distributed half-yearly.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.