"COLD KIRBY, a parish, in the wapentake of Birdforth, in the North Riding of the county of York, 8 miles E. of Thirsk, its post town, and 6 W. of Helmsley. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £63, in the patronage of the Hon. T. Duncombe. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, was rebuilt in 1842 at the expense of the late Thomas Duncombe, Esq. The Wesleyans meet in the schoolroom. There are week-day and Sunday schools. The Hon. T. Duncombe is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013