GENUKI Home page    Felixkirk Parish<br>main page Felixkirk
Parish
main page

FELIXKIRK:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"FELIXKIRK, (or Feliskirk), a parish in the wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Thirsk, its post town, and 10 S.E. of Northallerton. The Thirsk railway station on the North-Eastern line is 4 miles distant from the village. The parish includes the townships of Felixkirk, Botley, Sutton-under-Whitestone-Cliffe, Thirlby, and several small places. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value 450, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is an ancient stone structure, dedicated to St. Felix. There is a chapel-of-ease at Botley. The Independents and Wesleyans have chapels in the parish. The Rev. C. Johnstone is lord of the manor. Mount St. John, formerly an establishment of the Knights of St. John, is the principal residence."


"BOLTBY, a township in the parish of Felixkirk, wapentake of Birdforth, in the North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the N.E. of Thirsk."


"SUTTON UNDER WHITESTONE CLIFFE, a township in the parish of Felixkirk, wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Thirsk, and 5 E. of Thirsk railway station. The village is situated on a branch of the Cod Beck. The Independents and Wesleyans have chapels."


"THIRLBY, a township in the parish of Felixkirk, wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Thirsk, and 6 from the Thirsk railway station. The village is situated on a branch of the river Swale, and is wholly agricultural."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014