[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"FILEY, a parish-town and township, in the wapentakes of Pickering-Lythe and
Dickering (E.R.); 8 miles from Scarborough, 9 from Bridlington, 18 from
Driffield, 39 from York. The Church, (which with a farm house are the only parts
in the North-Riding) is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Oswald (see Churches for photograph), in the
deanry of Dickering value p.r. 120L. Patron Humphrey Osbaldeston, Esq.
Filey is a small fishing town, south-east of Scarborough. It is
particularly celebrated for its excellent fish and lobsters. The sands,
which sweep round a beautifully curved bay of four or five miles in extent,
are bounded on the north by a remarkable ridge of rocks projecting nearly
half a mile into the sea, and distinguished by the name of Filey-Bridge, and
thought to resemble the celebrated Mole of Tangier in Africa. Their southern
limit is a stupendous range of chalk-cliffs, running onward to Flamborough
"GRISTHORPE, in the parish of Filey, wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe;
1¾ miles WNW. of Filey, 7 miles SE. of Scarborough. Population, 212 (see Churches for photograph)."
"LEBBERSTON, in the parish of Filey, wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe;
2½ miles WNW. of Filey, 4 miles N. of Hunmanby. The hall here is occupied by
Mr. Robert Shepherd. Pop. 143."
Filey Museum was established over thirty years ago and is housed in
buildings dated from 1696. Exhibits there include hundreds of
photographs of Old Filey and its characters, old maps, other written
records and, of course, hundreds of other artifacts of local historical