GENUKI Home page    Hackness Parish<br>main page Hackness
Parish
main page

HACKNESS:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"HACKNESS, a parish in the liberty of Whitby-Strand, North Riding county York, 6 miles W. of Scarborough, its post town. The village is situated in a vale, surrounded by steep hills. There are several springs of water rising in the hills and forming natural cascades. The river Derwent passes through the village. Prior to the dissolution of monasteries there existed here a cell to Whitby Abbey. The land is equally divided between arable, pasture, and woodland, with a considerable tract of moor. The living is a perpetual curacy* with that of Harwood Dale annexed, in the diocese of York, value 253. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient edifice, with square tower crowned by a spire. There are several small charities and a village school. The principal residence is Hackness Hall, the seat of Sir John Vanden Bempde Johnstone, Bart., who is lord of the manor."


"BROXA, a township in the parish of Hackness, liberty of Whitby Strand, in the North Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the N.W. of Scarborough. It is near a small stream, a branch of the river Derwent."


"EVERLEY, a township united with Suffield, in the parish of Hackness, North Riding county York, 5 miles W. of Scarborough."


"HARWOOD DALE, a township in the parish of Hackness, liberty of Whitby Strand, North Riding county York, 7 miles N.W. of Scarborough. The greater part of the land is waste and moorland, the remainder arable and pasture. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to that of Hackness, in the diocese of York, value together, 253. The chapel was built in the reign of Charles IL, by Sir T. P. Hoby, who endowed it with the great tithes."


"SILPHO, a township in the parish of Hackness, liberty of Whitby-Strand, North Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Scarborough. It is in conjunction with Harwood."


"SUFFIELD CUM EVERLEY, a township in the parish of Hackness, liberty of Whitby Strand, North Riding county York, 5 miles N.W. of Scarborough. It is joined with Everley and Silpho."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014