Wapentake of Bulmer - Petty Sessional Division of Bulmer East - Electoral Division of Flaxton - Poor Law Union and County Court District of York - Rural Deanery, Archdeaconry, and Diocese of York.
Heworth, formerly in the parishes of St. Cuthbert and St. Saviour, was made parochial by an order in council in 1871. The parish is co-extensive with the township of that name, and comprises an area of 1,208 acres, with a population of 1,540. A portion of it, containing 110½ acres, is included in the extended boundary of the city of York; the remainder is in the North Riding. The rateable value of the former is £2,035, and of the latter, £3,043. The principal landowners are the trustees of the late Rev. Dr. Robert Bilton Hornby, lord of the manor; Colonel Herbert, Richard Evers, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The freemen of York own Monk Stray. The church, dedicated to Holy Trinity, was erected in 1868-9, and stands within the city bounds.
Elmfield College is a large handsome building in this township, pleasantly situated on the Malton road, just outside the city boundary. It is the property of the trustees of the Primitive New Connexion, and was erected in 1864, at a cost of £10,000. There is accommodation for 106 boys. The school-room, classrooms, dormitories, &c., are lofty and well lighted. The curriculum of studies includes all the subjects embraced in a high-class education.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.