"KILBURN, a parish partly in the wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding, and partly within the liberty of RIPON, West riding, of the county of YORK, comprising the township of Hood with Osgoodby-Grange, and Kilburn, and containing 530 inhabitants, of which number, 500 are in the township of Kilburn, 7 miles N.W. from Easingwold. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £1000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a trifling sum, the gift of Ann Berry, in 1768, for the education of one girl."
"HOOD, a township in that part of the parish of KILBURN, which is in the wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles E. from Thirsk, containing, with Osgoodby Grange, 30 inhabitants."
"OSGOODBY GRANGE, a hamlet in that part of the parish of KILBURN, which is in the liberty of RIPON, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.E. from Thirsk. The population is returned with the township of Hood."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]