GENUKI Home page    Lythe Parish<br>main page Lythe
Parish
main page

LYTHE:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"LYTHE, a parish in the eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Barnby, Borrowby, Ellerby, Hutton-Mulgrave, Lythe, Nickleby, Newton- Mulgrave, and Ugthorpe, and containing 2194 inhabitants, of which number, 1134 are in the township of Lythe, 3 miles W.N.W. from Whitby. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at 10. 12. 6., endowed with 1400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church is dedicated to St. Oswald, and, although of modern appearance, is an ancient structure. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Peter de Mauley obtained a weekly market to be held here, and a fair on the eve of the festival of St. Oswald, in the reign of Henry III., but both have been long disused."


"BARNBY, a township in the parish of LYTHE, eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.W. from Whitby, containing 270 inhabitants."


"BORROWBY, a township in the parish of LYTHE, eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 11 miles W.N.W. from Whitby, containing 64 inhabitants."


"ELLERBY, a township in the parish of LYTHE, eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles W.N.W. from Whitby, containing 80 inhabitants."


"HUTTON MULGRAVE, a township in the parish of LYTHE, eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles W. from Whitby, containing 90 inhabitants."


"NEWTON MULGRAVE, a township in the parish of LYTHE, eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles W.N.W. from Whitby, containing 134 inhabitants."


"NICKLEBY, a township in the parish of LYTHE, eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.W. from Whitby, containing 147 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Independents."


"UGTHORPE, a township in the parish of LYTHE, eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles W. from Whitby, containing 275 inhabitants. A Roman Catholic chapel was erected here about 1812."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014