GENUKI Home page    Middleton Tyas Parish Middleton Tyas
Parish

In 1822, the following places were in


the Parish of Middleton Tyas:


"BLUE ANCHOR, p.h. in the township and parish of Middleton Tyas; 1 mile NW. of Middleton Tyas, 4 miles from Richmond, 4 from Catterick."


"COWTON GRANGE, a farm house in the township of Moulton, and parish of Middleton-Tyas; 2 miles ESE. of Middleton Tyas, 8 miles from Northallerton, 9 from Darlington. (Dur.)"


"HIGH GATHERLEY, (and Low Gatherley) in the parish of Middleton Tyas, wapentake of Gilling East; 2 miles S. of Middleton Tyas, 5 miles ENE. of Richmond."


"KNEETON HALL, a farm house in the township and parish of Middleton-Tyas; 1 mile NW. of Middleton Tyas, 5 miles from Richmond, 7 from Darlington, (Dur.)

Kneeton Hall, now reduced to a single a farm house appears to have been at sometime of much more importance, had a chapel. Vide Whitaker's Yorks."


"LINGY MOOR, farm houses in the parish of Middleton Tyas, and wapentake of Gilling East; 1 miles SE. of Middleton Tyas, 6 miles ENE. of Richmond."


"MIDDLETON LODGE, (the seat of George Hartley, Esq.) in the parish of Middleton Tyas, and the Wapentake of Gilling-East."


"MOULTON, in the parish of Middleton Tyas wapentake of Gilling East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1 miles SSE. of Middleton Tyas, 4 miles ENE. of Richmond. Pop. 236.

In this village was born, in 1743, Mr. George Cuitt, an Ingenious artist, and a worthy man. At an early period he shewed a strong inclination for drawing, and some of his early pieces having attracted the notice of the late Sir Lawrence Dundas, who knew how to reward merit, he became his patron and benefactor, and sent him to Italy in 1769, for improvement. In 1776, he returned to England, and was employed by many of the nobility and gentlemen in this County. Five of his best paintings are in possession of Samuel Crompton, Esq. of Woodend. He died at Richmond Feb. 3, 1818, much lamented."


"SCARO HOUSE, (or Scurragh House) a farm house in the township of Moulton, and parish of Middleton-Tyas; 3 miles from Richmond."


"SCOTCH CORNER, in the township and parish of Middleton-Tyas; mile WSW. of Middleton Tyas, 4, miles from Richmond, 5 from Catterick, 10 from Gretabridge. A Public-House, the Three Tuns."


"UNDER KNEETON, in the parish of Middleton Tyas, wap of Gilling East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1 miles NNW. of Middleton Tyas, 6 miles NNE. of Richmond."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. 2010]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014