GENUKI Home page    Rokeby Parish<br>main page Rokeby
Parish
main page

ROKEBY:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"ROKEBY, a parish in the wapentake of Gilling-West, North Riding county York, 17 miles S.W. of Darlington, its post town, and 3 S.E. of -Barnard Castle. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the rivers Tees and Greta. The Roman way to Brough led through the parish, which was the site of an ancient encampment, near which various inscribed stones and other Roman relics have been found. The inhabitants are chiefly agricultural. The surface is undulating. The soil is of a loamy and clayey nature, with a subsoil of clay. The parish includes Greta Bridge and Mortham, the old town of the Rokebys, who give name to Sir W. Scott's last poem. This place was also the favourite retreat of the poet Mason. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ripon, value 160. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was erected by Sir Thomas Robinson in the last century, and was fitted up with oak stalls in 1855. There is a parochial school. W. J. S. Morritt, Esq., is lord of the manor and owner of the soil. Rokeby Hall is the principal residence. In a close adjoining the embattled keep of Mortham, the ancient residence of the Rokebys, is a large tomb, removed thither from Eggleston Abbey."


"GRETA BRIDGE, a hamlet in the parishes of Brignall, Rokeby, and Wycliffe, North Riding county York, 3 miles S.E. of Barnard Castle. It is situated on the ancient Watling Street; and the river Greta, a tributary of the Tees, flows through the hamlet. Roman relics have been found in the neighbourhood."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014