GENUKI Home page    Romaldkirk Parish<br>main page Romaldkirk
Parish
main page

ROMALDKIRK:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"ROMALDKIRK, a parish and township in the wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding county York, 6 miles S.W. of Barnard-Castle railway station, and 4 N.W. of Middleton-in-Teesdale. Darlington is its post town. Romaldkirk is a polling-place for the county elections, and comprises Laithkirk-in-Lunedale, Cotherston, Hunderthwaite, and three other townships The village, which is considerable, is on the river Tees. A large portion of the land is in moor and pasture. The tithes were commuted for land under an Act of Enclosure in 1811. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ripon, value 750. The church, dedicated to St. Romald, is a cruciform. structure with a square tower crowned with pinnacles and containing three bells. The interior of the church has an effigy of Sir H. Fitzhugh, bearing date 1320. There is also a district church at Laith-Kirk, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value 103. The parochial charities produce about 47 per annum, of which 20 goes to a free school conducted on the National system. There are almshouses for 6 poor persons, with an annuity of 14 each. The rector is lord of the manor. A cattle fair is held on the first Thursdays in April and October."


"BIRTLE, a hamlet in the township of Lunedale, and parish of Romaldkirk, wapentake of Gilling, in the North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the N.W. of Barnard Castle."


"BOWBANK, a hamlet in the township of Lunedale, and parish of Romaldkirk, wapentake of Gilling, in the North Riding of the county of York, 9 miles to the W. of Barnard Castle."


"BRISCOE, a hamlet in the township of Cotherston, and parish of Romaldkirk, and wapentake of West Gilling, in the North Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the N.W. of Barnard Castle."


"CARBECK, a tything in the township of Lunedale, and parish of Romaldkirk, and wapentake of Gilling, in the North Riding of the county of York, 9 miles to the N.W. of Barnard Castle."


"COTHERSTON, a township in the parish of Romaldkirk, wapentake of West Gilling, in the North Riding of the county of York, 4 miles N.W. of Barnard Castle. It is situated on the river Tees. It contains the hamlets of Corn Park, Naby, Loup House, Towler Hill, and Briscoe. The charities amount to 2 per annum. Here are the ruins of Fitzhugh's Castle."


"GRASHOLME, a hamlet in the township of Lunedale and parish of Romaldkirk, North Riding county York, 9 miles N.W. of Barnard Castle."


"HOLWICK, a township in the parish of Romaldkirk, wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding county York, 11 miles N.E. of Brough, and 4 from the parish church of Romald-Kirk. It is situated on the river Tees, near the High Force Fall, and contains the hamlets of Lonton and Unthank. In this township is Winch Bridge, which divides the counties of York and Durham. It is suspended from rock to rock by a chain. About 6 miles to the W. is the famed Caldron Snout waterfall. The Duke of Cleveland's shooting-box is situated in this neighbourhood. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1811."


"HUNDERTHWAITE, a township and village in the parish of Romaldkirk, wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding county York, 1 mile from Romald Kirk, and 6 miles N.W. of Barnard Castle. The village, which is small and wholly agricultural, is situated on the river Tees. The township contains the hamlets of Hurry, Newhouse, Thorngate Hill, and Woden Croft. The land is partly moor. John Bowes, Esq., is lord of the manor."


"HURRY, a hamlet in the township of Hunderthwaite, in the parish of Romaldkirk, North Riding county York, 5 miles N.W. of Barnard Castle. It is situated near the river Tees."


"LAITH KIRK, a chapelry in the township of Lunedale, and parish of Romaldkirk, North Riding county York, 9 miles N.W. of Barnard Castle."


"LARTINGTON, a township in the parish of Romaldkirk, wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding county York, 4 miles from Romald-Kirk, and 2 N.W. of Barnard Castle. It is a station on the Barnard Castle and Lancashire Union railway. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Tees. It had formerly a chantry founded about the 15th century by the Fitzhughs. Near the village is Lartington Hall, with a Roman Catholic chapel attached, in which is the celebrated painting of a crucifix by Le Brun. There is an endowed school."


"LONTON, a hamlet in the township of Holwick and parish of Romaldkirk, North Riding county York, 8 miles N.W. of Barnard Castle. The river Tees flows through it."


"LOUP HOUSE, a hamlet in the township of Cotherston and parish of Romaldkirk, North Riding county York, 3 miles N.W. of Barnard Castle."


"LUNEDALE, a township in the parish of Romaldkirk, wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding county York, 9 miles N.W. of Barnard Castle, its post town. It is situated in a vale, within a short distance of the river Tees, and is watered by the Lune, a small tributary of that river. The township is long and irregular, including the hamlets of Birtle, Bowbank, Carbeck, Grassholme, Laith, Thieving-garth, and Wemergill. A considerable proportion is moorland. The tithes were commuted under an Enclosure Act in 1811 for land. At Laith, in this township, is a chapel-of-ease. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. There is a good school for the children of the district, endowed with 10 per annum by the late Earl of Strathmore."


"MICKLETON, a township in the parish of Romaldkirk, wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding county York, 7 miles N.W. of Barnard-Castle. It is situated on the river Tees. The greater portion of this township consists of a high moorland tract, extending along the S. side of Lunedale to the borders of Westmoreland. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1803. Divine service is performed every alternate Sunday evening in the chapel-of-ease. There is a free school for both sexes. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship."


"NABY, a hamlet in the township of Cotherston and parish of Romaldkirk, North Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Barnard Castle."


"NEWHOUSES, a hamlet in the township of Hunderthwaite, and parish of Romaldkirk, North Riding county York, 5 miles N.W. of Barnard Castle. It is situated near the river Tees."


"THORNGATE HILL, a hamlet in the township of Hunderthwaite, and parish of Romaldkirk, North Riding county York, 5 miles N.W. of Barnard Castle, on the river Tees."


"THWING GARTH, a hamlet in the township of Lunedale, and parish of Romaldkirk, North Riding county York, 10 miles N. W. of Barnard Castle, near the river Tees."


"TOWLER HILL, a hamlet in the township of Cotherston and parish of Romaldkirk, North Riding county York, 3 miles N.W. of Barnard Castle."


"UNTHANK, a hamlet in the township of Holwick, and parish of Romaldkirk, North Riding county York, 10 miles N.W. of Barnard Castle, and 11 N.E. of Brough, near High Force Fall, on the river Tees."


"WEMERGILL, a hamlet in the township of Lunedale and parish of Romaldkirk, North Riding county York, 10 miles N.W. of Barnard Castle. It is situated near the Lunedale Beek, a branch of the river Tees."


"WODEN CROFT, a hamlet in the township of Underthwaite, and parish of Romaldkirk, North Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Barnard Castle, near the river Tees."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014