GENUKI Home page    Rudby Parish<br>main page Rudby
Parish
main page

RUDBY:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"RUDBY, a parish in the W. division of Langbaurgh liberty, North Riding county York, 3 miles S.W. of Stokesley, its post town. It is situated on the river Leaven, and comprises the townships of Middleton, East Rouncton, Hutton-Rudby, Skutterskelf, and Sexhow. The living is a vicarage with the curacies of Middleton and East Rouncton annexed, in the diocese of York, value 270. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The parochial charities produce about 8 per annum, which goes to a free school, &c."


"EAST ROUNTON, a chapelry in the parish of Rudby, W. division of Langbaurgh liberty, North Riding county York, 2 miles N.E. of Welbury railway station, and 7 N. of Northallerton, its post town. It is situated on the river Wisk. The surface is undulating, and the land nearly equally divided between arable and pasture, with some plantations. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Rudby-in-Cleveland, in the diocese of York. The church is built on an eminence, and was repaired in 1820. The Grange is the principal residence."


"HUTTON RUDBY, a township in the parish of Rudby, W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 4 miles S.W. of Stokesley, and 6 S. of Yarm. It is situated near the river Leaven, the banks of which have an almost perpendicular ascent from the water's edge. Here are large linen factories, which employ a great number of the inhabitants. A portion of this township goes by the name of Enterpen. The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. To the former is attached a school. There is a National school, erected in 1836."


"MIDDLETON UPON LEVEN, a township in the parish of Rudby, W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of Yarm, its post town. It is situated on the eastern bank of the river Leven. The houses, which are few, are much scattered. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Rudby-in-Cleveland, in the diocese of York. The chapel, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, is a small edifice, with a turret containing one bell. Viscount Falkland is lord of the manor and chief landowner."


"SEXHOW, a township in the parish of Rudby, W. division of Langbaurgh liberty, North Riding county York, 4 miles S.W. of Stokesley. It is a station on the North Yorkshire and Cleveland branch of the North Eastern railway."


"SKUTTERSKELF, a township in the parish of Rudby, W. division of Langbaurgh liberty, North Riding county York, 3 miles S.W. of Stokesley. Near the village is Folly Hill, which serves as a landmark at sea, being visible in clear weather for 20 leagues."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014