"SEAMER, a parish in the wapentake of Pickering Lythe, North Riding county York, 4 miles S.W. of Scarborough, its post town, and 1 mile E. of the Seamer station on the North-Eastern railway. The village, which is of large extent, is situated on the old road from Driffield to Scarborough. The parish includes the townships of East Agton and Irton, and formerly belonged to the Percys. In 1549 an insurrection took place here, led by Duld, the parish clerk, having for its object the restoration of the Roman Catholic religion and the abolition of monarchy. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1809. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Cayton annexed, in the diocese of York, value £250. The church, dedicated to St. Martin, is an ancient stone structure, with a square embattled tower containing three bells. The parochial charities produce about £15 per annum, of which £8 goes to Coulson's school. There is a National school for both sexes, supported by Lord Londesborough, and in which a Sunday-school is also held. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Lord Londesborough is lord of the manor. A cattle market is held on the first Monday in every month, and a cattle fair on 15th July, lasting seven days."
"EAST AYTON, a township in the parish of Seamer, Pickering lythe, in the North Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the S.W. of Scarborough. It is seated in a pleasant valley on the banks of the river Derwent, and the York and Scarborough railway passes by it, with a station at Seamer. The district yields ironstone, and ironworks are established here."
"HERTFORD BRIDGE, a hamlet in the parish of Seamer, wapentake of Pickering-Lythe, North Riding county York, 5 miles S.W. of Scarborough. It is situated on the Hertford, a branch of the river Derwent."
"IRTON, a township in the parish of Seamer, wapentake of Pickering Lythe, North Riding county York, 4 miles S.W. of Scarborough."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013