"SKELTON, a parish, partly in the liberty of St. Peter's, but chiefly in the wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of York, its post town, and 9 S. of Easingwold. The village, which is of small extent, is situated in a vale near the river Ouse, and is chiefly agricultural. The soil consists of clay and loam. The living is a perpetual curacy* annexed to that of Brotton, in the diocese of York, value £137, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. There is an endowed village school. Skelton Lodge and Fairfield are the principal residences."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013