"WHENBY, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 7 miles E. of Easingwold, 2 S.E. of Bransby, and 5 from the Flaxton station on the York and Scarborough railway. About two-thirds of the land are arable, and the remainder meadow and pasture. The soil is a strong loam, alternated with clay. The parish includes the hamlet of Foulrice. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £120. The church is dedicated to St. Martin. There is a parochial school. The local charities produce about £1 per annum. W. Garforth, Esq., is lord of the manor and sole landowner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013