Area 220 acres. Claro wapentake. -Population, 950; Church-room, 550; Net value, £95.
Patron, the Vicar of Aldborough.
The Dean and Chapter of York claim the spiritual jurisdiction here as well as at Aldborough, but the Bishop of Chester, previous to the erection of the See of Ripon, also claimed it, and the Curate and chapelwardens were in the habit of attending the Bishop's Visitations.
Here was a Chantry called St. Saviour's Chantry, and another called St. Agatha's. There was also a Chantry at Roecliffe.
No glebe house.
Register Books, vide Aldborough.
The bridge, which is now built of stone, seems to have been of wood in the time of King Edward II., for Humphrey Bohan, Earl of Hereford, going over it was, at a chink thereof, thrust through the body about his groin, by a soldier under the bridge.
Lord John Craven's, by will, 28th May 1647. £5 per annum.
Smithson's gift, £1. 11s. 8d. per annum. -Vide 3rd Report, page 452.
Torre's MS., page 927, (armorial bearings on the windows). Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 167. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Burgh), pages 16. 36.193. 206. 212. Hargrave's Knaresborough, page 329.