Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ALMONDBURY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ALMONDBURY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.

"ALMONDBURY, is a populous township and respectable village, in the parish of its name, the village being situated about 2 miles s.e. of Huddersfield, on the road leading to Penistone. The extensive parish of Almondbury is of great importance, both as respects its commerce and its great extent, being nearly ten miles in length, and embracing within its limits many populous townships and villages, such as Lockwood, Honley, Crossland, Holmefirth, Meltham, Linthwaite, parts of Marsden, Slaithwaite, &c. The manufactures are of the same nature as those of Huddersfield, for which there are numerous establishments in the township and its vicinage. Sir John Ramsden is lord of the manor, and holds a court-leet annually in October ; when constables and other officers are appointed, and cases of damage and trespass adjudged. The parish church, which is dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient edifice of Gothic architecture, with a square tower : the ceiling of the interior is decorated with various antique figures and devices : the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Governors of Clitheroe ; and incumbency of the Rev. Lewis Jones, whose curate is the Rev. David James. In the village is a chapel for Wesleyan methodists. The free grammar school here was founded in the reign of James 1st ; the income is derived from land and rent charges, devised by Robert Nettleton, and other benefactors. The parish contained, in 1821, 23,979 inhabitants, and in 1831, 30,606, of which last number 7,086 were returned for the township.
Please see Huddersfield Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this township."


"FARNLEY TYAS, is a township, in the parish of Almondbury, about three miles from Huddersfield and two from Honley. There are but few manufacturing establishments in this township, and, divested of these, it is a place of very little importance. The Earl of Dartmouth contributes 30. annually for the support of a school, in which thirty children are instructed. The population of this township has latterly declined : in 1821 it contained 900 inhabitants, and in 1831, 849."


"HONLEY, is a populous chapelry, in the parish of Almondbury, upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding ; situated about three miles and a half south from Huddersfield, upon the river Colne. Fancy and other woollen goods are manufactured to a very great extent ; there are besides scribbling & fulling mills, and dye works : the whole furnishing employment to a great number of the inhabitants. The Earl of Dartmouth is lord of the manor, and holds a court, by his steward, annually in October, when a constable is appointed, and cases of trespass and damage adjudged. The places of worship are, a chapel of ease, and one each for Wesleyan methodists and independents. The living of Honley is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the vicar of Almondbury : the present curate is the Rev. Robert Smith. The chapelry contained, by the census for 1821, 3,501 inhabitants, and by that for 1831, 4,523."


"LOCKWOOD, is a village and township, in the parish of Almondbury, and same wapentake as Huddersfield, now nearly united to that populous and flourishing town ; it is beautifully situated in the valley of Holme, and in the midst of a romantic and finely sheltered country. The great attraction of this place is its spa and baths. The water is highly esteemed for its medicinal properties, and the baths, which afford ample accommodation for visitors, embrace swimming, warm, Buxton, shower, vapour, sulphurous, fumigating, and shampooing. For the latter process a native of India has been engaged, and the estimation in which the Lockwood waters are held, is attested by the fact of upwards of ten thousand baths having been taken there during the past season. There is now a good Inn close to the baths. For the accommodation of the increasing population, a church has also been erected, of which the Rev. Joseph Hughes is the incumbent ; and other improvements are rapidly taking place, doubtless caused by the prosperous state of its manufactures, which are of the same character as those of its extensive neighbour, Huddersfield. The other places of worship are, two chapels for the particular baptists. The number of inhabitants in the township, in 1821, amounted to 1,881, and in 1831, to 3,134.
Please see Huddersfield Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this township."


"MELTHAM, is a village and chapelry, in the parish of Almondbury, upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding, five miles s.w. from Huddersfield, situated on the new road between that town and Manchester, and surrounded by hills. Many mills here are employed in the manufacture of woollen cloth, the greater proportion of which is taken for sale to the Huddersfield market. There are besides an extensive manufactory for sewing cotton and silk throwing, belonging to Messrs. Brooks' ; an iron foundry of Mr Kilburn's ; and in the chapelry are colleries, fulling mills, and dye works. The places of worship are, a chapel of ease, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, one for baptists, erected in 1816, and one for Wesleyan methodists, in 1819. The living of Meltham is a curacy, in the gift of the vicar of Almondbury: the Rev. Lewis Jones is the present incumbent. A free school was erected by subscription in 1823. Two fairs are held here, one on the first Saturday after the 6th of April, the other on the first Saturday after 11th October ; both for cattle, & c. The chapelry contained in 1821, 2,000 inhabitants, and in 1831, 2,746."


"NETHER THONG, or Thongue, is a village and township, in the parish of Almondbury, 1 mile n.w. of Holmefirth. The manufactures are of the same description as those which prevail in the places before mentioned. A parliamentary church was erected here in 1830 : it is of stone, and rather a handsome building, dedicated to All Saints : the living is a curacy, in the gift of the vicar of Almondbury ; the present incumbent is the Rev. J.M.Evans. A chapel for Wesleyan methodists is at Deanhouse, a hamlet, a little to the north of Thong. Nether Thong contained, at the last census, 1,004 inhabitants, and Upper Thong, 1,648.
Please see Kirkburton Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this township (under Holmfirth)."


"SOUTH CROSSLAND, is a township, in the parish of Almondbury, a short distance from that town, and about two miles from Lockwood. The manufactures are of the same nature as at Honley. The chapel here was erected at an expense of about 2,300. out of the fund at the disposal of commissioners appointed by parliament, for building additional churches and chapels. The living is a curacy, in the same gift as that of Honley : the present incumbent is the Rev. George Hough. A national school is in the township. The population, in 1821, consisted of 1,583 inhabitants, and at the last census of 2,258."

[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]