Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for GISBURN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

GISBURN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"GISBURN, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-AND-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Gisbum, Gisburn-Forest, Horton, Middop, Nappa, Newsholme, Paythorne, Rimmington, and Swinden, and containing 2530 inhabitants, of which number, 690 are in the township of Gisburn, 10 miles S.W. from Skipton. The town is situated in a fertile plain, near the eastern bank of the river Ribble, and at a short distance from the borders of Lancashire. A market, which was formerly held here on Mondays, has been discontinued; but there is a market or fair for cattle every alternate Monday throughout the year, and fairs annually on Easter Monday and the 18th and 19th of September. In the township of Rimmington is a vein of lead-ore which contains a considerable portion of silver. A court leet for the manor is held annually in May, and another in November, at one of which a constable is appointed for the township. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £ 11. 6. 8., endowed with £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a neat edifice, including a nave, aisles, and a chancel, with a square tower, in the later style of English architecture} the windows are ornamented with stained glass. Here is a school with a small endowment for the education of seven poor children. On an eminence near the Ribble is a square fort, called Castle Haugh, and near it a barrow, in which was found a coarse earthen urn, indicating a burial-place of the ancient Britons.."


"GISBURN FOREST, a township in the parish of GISBURN, western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles S. from Settle, containing 457 inhabitants."


"HORTON, a township in the parish of GISBURN, western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles S.W. from Skipton, containing 187 inhabitants."


"MIDDOP, a township in the parish of GISBURN, western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles W.N.W. from Colne, containing 100 inhabitants. A school, erected by subscription on the waste, was endowed, in 1819, by the Rev. Thomas Bland, with money now producing about £10 per annum."


"NAPPA, a township in the parish of GISBURN, western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles S.S.E. from Settle, containing 44 inhabitants."


"NEWSHOLME, a township in the parish of GISBURN, western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles S.E. from Settle, containing 75 inhabitants."


"PAYTHORNE, a township in the parish of GISBURN, western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles S. from Settle, containing 242 inhabitants."


"RIMMINGTON, a township in the parish of GISBURN, western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.E. from Clitheroe, containing 698 inhabitants."


"SWINDEN, a township in the parish of GISBURN, western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles S.E. from Settle, containing 37 inhabitants."


"TOSSIDE, (or TOSSET) a chapelry in the parish of GISBURN, western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 1 miles S.S.W. from Settle. The population is returned with the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, endowed with £ 800 royal bounty., and in the patronage of the Vicar of Gisburn. The chapel is dedicated to St. Bartholomew."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]