Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Silkstone:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Silkstone:


"BARNBY, in the parish of Silkstone, wapentake of Staincross, and honour of Pontefract; 3½ miles W. of Barnsley."


"BARNSLEY, a market-town, in the parish of Silkstone, wapentake of Staincross, liberty of Pontefract; 8 miles from Penistone, 10 from Wakefield, 12 from Rotherham, 14 from Sheffield and Pontefract, 15 from Doncaster, 18 from Huddersfield, 38 from York, 176¾ from London. Market, Wednesday. Fairs, the Wednesday before February 28, May 13, and October 11, for horses, horned cattle, pigs, &c. Bankers, Messrs. Beckett, Birks, and Co., draw on Messrs. Sir Richard Carr Glyn, Bart. Mills, and Co., 12, Birchin Lane; Messrs. Wentworth and Co., draw on Messrs. Wentworth and Co., 25, Threadneedle Street. Principal Inns, White Bear and King's Head. Pop. 8,284. The Church, rebuilding, is a perpetual curacy under Silkstone." (There is further information for Barnsley).


"BERRY MOOR, a farm house in the parish of Silkstone, wapentake of Staincross, & honour of Pontefract; 3½ miles E. of Silkstone."


"BRETTON PARK, (the seat of Thomas Richard Beaumont, Esq.) in the township of Bretton, and parish of Silkstone, 6½ miles from Wakefield and Barnsley.

Bretton Hall was originally erected by Sir William Wentworth, Bart. in 1720, when the old chapel and family House were pulled down. Sir William married Diana, daughter of Sir William Blackett, Bart. --Col. Beaumont became possessed of this Mansion by his marriage with Diana, daughter of the late Sir Thomas Wentworth Blackett, Bart. --Neale's Gents. Seats."


"CANNON HALL, (the seat of John Spencer Stanhope Esq.) in the township of Cawthorne, and parish of Silkstone, 4 miles from Penistone, 5 from Barnsley, 9 from Wakefield." (There is further information for Cannon Hall).


"CAT HILL, a farm-house in the township of Hoyland Swaine, and parish of Silkstone, 1 mile N. of Penistone."


"CHAMPANY HILL, a farm-house in the township and parish of Silkstone, 3 miles SW. of Barnsley."


"COIT HILL, a farm-house in the township and parish of Silkstone, 2 miles E. of Penistone."


"CRANE MOOR, or Crane Green, scattered houses, in the township of Thurgoland, and parish of Silkstone, 4 miles from Penistone."


"DODWORTH, in the parish of Silkstone, wapentake of Staincross, liberty of Pontefract; 2 miles SW. of Barnsley, 5½ from Penistone, 10 from Wakefield. Pop. 1,227."


"DODWORTH BOTTOM, scattered houses, in the township of Dodworth, and parish of Silkstone, ; 1¾ a miles SW. of Barnsley."


"EASTFIELD, a farm-house in the township and parish of Silkstone, 3 miles E. of Penistone."


"ELMHIRST, a farm-house in the township of Cawthorne, and parish of Silkstone, 2 miles N. of Penistone."


"FALL HEAD, a farm-house in the township and parish of Silkstone, 3½ miles from Barnsley."


"FALTHWAITE, a farm-house in the township of Stainbrough, and parish of Silkstone, 3½ miles E. of Penistone."


"FIELD HEAD, a farm-house in the township of Dodworth, and parish of Silkstone, 3 miles from Penistone. (now (2013) known as Fieldhead Manor)." (There is further information for Field Head).


"FURNACE, (or Barnby Furnace) scattered houses, in the township and parish of Silkstone, 3 miles from Barnsley."


"GUYDER BOTTOM, scattered houses, in the township and parish of Silkstone, 1½ miles N. of Penistone."


"HIGHFIELD, a farm-house in the township of Thurgoland, and parish of Silkstone, 3 miles from Penistone."


"HOOD GREEN, a farm-house in the township of Stainbrough, and parish of Silkstone, 3½ miles SW. of Barnsley."


"HOYLAND SWAINE, in the parish of Silkstone, wapentake of Staincross, liberty of Pontefract; 2 miles NE. of Penistone, 6½ from Barnsley, 14 from Huddersfield. Pop. 738."


"HUTHWAITE, (the seat of J. Bland, Esq.) in the township and parish of Silkstone, 3 miles SE. of Penistone, 5½ from Barnsley."


"KERESFORTH HILL, a farm-house in the township of Barnsley, and parish of Silkstone, liberty of Pontefract; 1¼ miles SW. of Barnsley."


"NOBLETHORPE, a single house in the township and parish of Silkstone, 3½ miles NE. of Penistone."


"NORCROFTS, 2 farm-houses (Upper and Lower Norcroft) in the township and parish of Silkstone, 3½ miles NE. of Penistone."


"OLD BARNSLEY, in the townships of Barnsley and Silkstone, and parish of Silkstone, liberty of Pontefract; 1 mile NW. of Barnsley."


"POGMOOR, a farm-house in the township and parish of Silkstone, 1½ miles W. of Barnsley, 6½ from Penistone."


"SIM HILL, a farm-house in the township and parish of Silkstone, 3 miles E. of Penistone."


"STAINBROUGH, in the parish of Silkstone, wapentake of Staincross, liberty of Pontefract; 2½ miles SW. of Barnsley, 5½ from Penistone. Pop. 194. Here is a Chapel of Ease to Silkstone."


"STORRS, (Upper and Lower) 2 farm-houses in the township and parish of Silkstone, 3 miles NE. of Penistone, 5½ from Barnsley."


"THURGOLAND, in the parish of Silkstone, wapentake of Staincross, liberty of Pontefract; 4 miles ESE. of Penistone, 4½ from Barnsley, 9½ from Sheffield. Pop. 819."


"TOAD HOLE, a farm-house in the township of Thurgoland, and parish of Silkstone, 3 miles from Penistone."


"TOAD HOLE HILL, a farm-house in the township of Thurgoland, and parish of Silkstone, 3 miles from Penistone."


"WENTWORTH CASTLE, (the seat of Frederick Vernon Wentworth, Esq.) in the township of Stainbrough, and parish of Silkstone, wapentake of Staincross; 3 S. of from Barnsley, 5½ from Penistone, 11 from Sheffield.

This Castle, which occupies the site of an eminent fortress, was built about the year 1730, by Thomas, Earl of Strafford, of whom there is a good marble statue, by Ruysbreack, standing in the centre of its area, much injured by time and neglect. It is a large quadrangular building, and over the centre window of the north front are the arms of the founder. The east front of this noble mansion is of a modern character, and was erected by William, Earl of Strafford, about 1770. Its architecture is at once both elegant and rich. In the interior are a great many spacious and elegant rooms, but its greatest beauty is to be found in the gallery, one hundred and eighty feet long, by twenty four broad, and thirty high, divided into three divisions, by magnificent pillars of marble, with gilt capitals. This room, as well as others in the house, is ornamented with statues, and several pictures by Vandyck, Sir P. Lely, Vanderhelst, &c. --Neale. The Rev. R. Warner, in his tour, calls this house a heavy tasteless building."


"WEST BRETTON, in the parishes of Sandal Magna and Silkstone, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberties of Pontefract and Wakefield, 6 miles SW. of Wakefield, 6½ from Barnsley. Pop. in Agbrigg, 154, in Staincross, 364, total, 518."


"WEST THORPE, a farm-house in the township of Hoyland Swaine, and parish of Silkstone, 1½ miles N. of Penistone."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]