Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: SOUTH KIRKBY.     Church dedication: ALL SAINTS.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 6,390 acres. Osgoldcross wapentake, U.D. -Population, 1,478 *1 ; Church-room, 400 *2; Net value, £244. -This was a Saxon Church, and the addition of " South," appears to have been given to distinguish it from Pontefract, which was formerly called " Kirkby."

The Church was given by Robert de Lacy to his Priory of Nostel, temp. Henry I., who from thenceforward had the patronage of it, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, Kal. June 1231. A second ordination was made 8th Id. April 1244, and an inquisition was also had in 1268 relative thereto.

The Advowson was granted at the Dissolution to the Beaumonts, from whom it passed to the Armitages, and the patronage is now in the family of Allott, of Engleston.

Patron, the Rev. G. Allott.

Impropriators, several proprietors. The Nunnery of Hampole was within this parish.

In Pope Nicholas's taxation, the Church is valued at £20 and the Vicarage at £10; in the King's books the Vicarage is valued at £15. 10s. 2d., after deducting for Synodals 4s. and Procurations 7s. 6d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 389, at £35 per annum.

An Inclosure Act was passed 47th Geo. III.

For the arms, inscriptions, and catalogue of Vicars, see Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 446 ; also see Wood's Bodleian MS., No. 5101.

Here was a Chantry called St. Mary's.

The Rev. Geo. Beaumont, Vicar of this parish, was shot by order of a council of war, in 1648.

8th June 1737, faculty to build a gallery.

3rd July 1812, ditto to re-pew the Church.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1620.

Charities:
Pymont's dole. £5 per annum, given in small sums to the poor.

Cartwright's, alias Vicars's charity. Vide General Charities. Two poor widows belonging to North and South Elmsall receive yearly pensions of 13s. 4d. each.

Poor's estate. Devised by the will of Robert Allott, dated 29th September 1735. Two messuages, a blacksmith's shop. and upwards of six roods of land. The rent is distributed in small sums.

William Armroyd's charity. Dividends on £234. 17s. 4d. three per cent. consols. Distributed by the Vicar and churchwardens at Christmas.

Mrs. Ann Bowes's charity, by will, dated 19th November 1784. Interest of £100 to the poor of South Elmsall and South Kirkby.

James Allott's charity, by will, dated 27th September 1811. Interest of £400 to be distributed by the minister and churchwardens every Easter Tuesday.

Green's dole. 15s. per annum to the poor.

Poor's money. £10. 12s. 6d. lent on bond at interest. -Vide 16th Report, page 421.

Post town: Pontefract.


References:
Torre's MS. page 989. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 214. Bodleian MS. No. 5101. Nonae Rolls, page 221. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 446.


Notes:
*1 Viz. North Elmsall, 256 ; Skelbrooke, 113 ; South Elmsall, 494; and South Kirkby,' 615. In 1834, the Population of the parish was returned at 1365.

*2 In 1818, the Church room was returned between 400 and 500.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.