GENUKI Home page
Kilkenny Contents Parishes and Towns

 

JERPOINT ABBEY

"Jerpoint Abbey", or Abbey-Jerpoint, a parish (anciently a corporate town), in the barony of Knocktopher, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 1 1/2 miles (W. S. W.) from Thomastown; containing, 367 inhabitants. This place is situated on the river Nore, and derives its name from an abbey founded here, in 1180, by Donogh O'Donoghoe, King of Ossory, for monks of the Cisternian order, whom he removed from a distant part of Ossory. It was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, and was amply endowed by the royal founder, who was interred here in 1885; and its possessions were subsequently confirmed by John, Lord of Ireland. In 1202, Feix O'Dullany, Bishop of Ossory, was interred here, at whose tomb many miracles are said to have been wrought; and the abbey became a favourite place of sepulture with all the great families in the surrounding country. The present ruins are very extensive, and display some fine specimens of the later Norman passing into the early English style of architecture: the most perfect portion is a well-proportioned, square, embattled tower. The parish is in the diocese of Ossory, and is a vicarage and one of the eighteen denominations, or reputed parishes, that constitute the union of Burnchurch. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Thomastown.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]

Church Records

Civil Parish: Jerpointabbey. RC Parish: Thomastown.
Earliest Records: b. Jun 1782; m. Jan 1786.

Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)

Civil 		Roman Catholic	Time 		FHLC
parish		parish		period		number
Jerpointabbey	Thomastown	1782-1833	0926202
				1834-1880	0926203

Historical Geography

Townlands (1851)
Parish		Townland		Acres	Diocese
Jerpointabbey   Jerpointabbey    	764	Ossory    
Jerpointabbey   Jockeyhall       	50	Ossory    
Jerpointabbey   Knockard      		192	Ossory    
Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 17 Apr 1999

Return to top of page