"Wells", a parish, in the barony of Gowran, county of Kilkenny, but chiefly in that of Idrone West, county of Carlow, and province of Leinster, 2 miles (S. by W.) from Leighlin-Bridge, on the road Gowran; containing 1554 inhabitants. The parish is situated upon the south side of the river Barrow, and comprises 2622 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Here is a slate quarry. The seats are Ravindon, Barbage, and the Deanery-house. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, constituting, with the chapelry of Ballynochen, the corps of the deanery of Leighlin, and in the patronage of the Crown. There are several small glebes, comprising 21 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Leighlin-bridge: the chapel is a large building. The parochial school-house was built by aid from the incumbent: a female school is maintained by subscription, and there are two private schools, attended by about 140 children. The ruins of the former church at the Royal Oak are still visible; and near Ballynochen is a rath of considerable extent, called by the peasantry "the Maudlin Moat."
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]