"GLENMUICK-TULLICH-AND-GLENGAIRN, a parish, in the district of Kincardine O'Neil, county of Aberdeen, 16 miles (W.) from Kincardine O'Neil; containing, with the village of Ballater, 2118 inhabitants. The compound Gaelic term Glean-muic, expressive of "a valley frequented by swine", is supposed to have been applied to this place from some part of it having been formerly celebrated for its breed of swine. The word Tullich is corrupted from tulach, signifying "rising grounds, or hillocks", and is descriptive of the vicinity of the village of Tullich. Glengairn is derived from the three words glean-garbh-amhain, meaning "the hollow or glen of the rough water". . . The wild and romantic mountain scenery of the district is blended with many beautifully picturesque features, for which it is much indebted to its rivers and lakes. . . The SOIL is in general shallow and dry, in some parts sandy, in others gravelly: the grain chiefly cultivated is oats and bear, and most kinds of green crops are raised. The sheep are the black-faced, occasionally crossed with other sorts; the cattle are the small native breed, mixed with the Galloway and others. . . The inhabitants are engaged chiefly in agriculture; but many females are employed in flax-spinning and the knitting of stockings. . . Ecclesiastically the parish is in the presbytery of Kincardine O'Neil, synod of Aberdeen, and in the patronage of the Marquess of Huntly. The minister's stipend is £237, with a manse, and a glebe valued at £7. 10. per annum. The church, built in 1798, is a neat substantial edifice, with a spire and an excellent clock; it is situated in the middle of a square in the village of Ballater, and has accommodation for about 800 persons. A missionary in connexion with the Established Church officiates in a chapel at Rinloan in Glengairn. . . The members of the Free Church have a place of worship; and there is a Roman Catholic chapel on Gairnside, five miles distant from the church, and a second, a very small one, in another part. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]