"KING-EDWARD, a parish, in the district of Turriff, county of Aberdeen, 5 miles (S. S. E.) from Banff; containing, with the village of Newbyth, 2492 inhabitants. This place, originally called Kin-Edart, of which the present name is an obvious corruption, is of some antiquity. . . The parish is bounded on the west by the river Doveron, is about eleven miles in length, and varies from two to five miles in breadth, comprising 17,500 acres. . . The chief crops are oats, barley, potatoes, and turnips, with the usual grasses; very little wheat is raised. . . Facility of communication is maintained by excellent roads, of which the turnpike-road from Aberdeen to Banff intersects the western portion of the parish; and by bridges over the various streams, kept in good repair. For ECCLESIASTICAL purposes the parish is within the limits of the presbytery of Turriff, synod of Aberdeen. The minister's stipend is about £215, with a manse, and a glebe valued at £ 5 per annum; patron, the Crown. King-Edward church, a plain structure built in 16'21, contains 550 sittings. A chapel of ease in connexion with the Established Church has been erected in the village of Newbyth; it is a neat structure containing sittings for 400 persons. There is a place of worship in the parish for Independents. The parochial school is well attended: the master has a salary of £34, with a house and garden, and the fees averag about £10 per annum. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]