"MIDMAR, a parish, in the district of Kincardine-O'Neil, county of Aberdeen, 15 miles (W.) from the city of Aberdeen; containing 1093 inhabitants. Midmar, a term supposed to be compounded of the Saxon word mid, and the Gaelic word marr denoting "a black forest", is the name of one of the three great divisions of the extensive region originally styled Marr, which lies between the rivers Dee and Don. . . The land varies greatly in quality, and much of it is wet and mossy, and rented at a very low rate: but large tracts have been reclaimed and improved during the present century, and in some parts the fields have been inclosed with good stone dykes. Many of the farm houses and offices have been enlarged, or rebuilt on a better plan. . . The mansions of Kebbaty and Corsindae are both modern structures, the houses of resident proprietors. Midmar Castle, an ancient turreted edifice, is situated in a kind of glen on the north side of the hill of Fare. . .Ecclesiastically the parish is in the presbytery of Kincardine O'Neil, synod of Aberdeen, and in the patronage of the Crown and Sir John Forbes, of Craigievar, Bart., the latter presenting twice in succession. The minister's stipend is £224, with a manse, built in 1540, and a glebe value at £14 per annum. Midmar church, which accommodates 600 persons, is a very plain structure, built in 1757. There are places of worship for the United Presbyterian Church and the Free Church. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]