"Its extent is three miles in length and two in breadth; situated on the south bank of the river South Esk, about three miles south east from Brechin. The low ground on the banks of the river are fertile, having a fine clay and loamy soil, capable of producing any kind of grain; the higher grounds are rather of an inferior quality, being composed of black earth, inclining to moss. Except a small estate of about 100 acres, the whole parish belongs to Sir David Carnegie, Bart. of South Esk, who has his residence at Kinnaird Castle, and ancient and extensive building, lately modernised in superb and princely style. The policies are laid out with great taste, and the extensive plantation around it are in a thriving state. Not far from the church is an old castle, once the residence of the family of Airly."
The Gazetteer of Scotland, W Chalmers, Dundee 1803.
Click on the map at the right to access more maps of Farnell.
- The transcription of the section for Farnell from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.