GLENISLA, Angus - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"GLENISLA, a parish and post village in the county Forfar, Scotland, 10 miles N.W. of Kirriemuir. It is situated on, and is traversed by, the river Isla, which has a fine fall at Reeky Linn. It contains Kirkton, and is bounded by the parishes of Alyth, Clova, Kirriemuir, and Lintrathen, and the counties of Perth and Aberdeen. It is nearly 16 miles long and over 5 wide. The surface bears all the characteristics of a Highland district. This parish is in the presbytery of Meigle and synod of Angus and Mearns, in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £160. The church was built in 1821. Here is a Free church, a parish and two other schools. The Earl of Airlie, Rattray of Kirkhillocks, Smyth of Balharry, and Sir James Ramsay, Bart., of Banff, are the chief landowners. The parish anciently belonged to the Ogilvies; and the castles of Foster and Newton, reduced by Argyle in 1641, were two strongholds of that clan."
"KIRKTON, a village in the parish of Glenisla, county Forfar, Scotland, 12 miles W. of Kirriemuir."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use