Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for MONIKIE, Angus - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

MONIKIE, Angus - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"MONIKIE, a parish in the district of Dundee, county Forfar, Scotland. It comprises the villages of Craigton, Newbigging, Guildie, Bankhead, and Camustown. It extends about 7 miles S. in length, with an extreme breadth of 5 miles, and is bounded by the parishes of Murroes, Inverarity, Guthrie, Carmylie, Panbride, Barry, and Monifieth. The surface is in parts hilly, being intersected by the hilly ridge of Downie, running from E. to W. On Downie Hill is a pillar 105 feet high, erected in 1839 by the tenants to the late Lord Panmure, which serves as a landmark. To the W. of Downie Hill is a quarry of excellent sandstone. The southern part of the parish is traversed by the road from Dundee to Arbroath, also by the Dundee and Arbroath railway. It is within easy distance of the Monifieth and Barry stations on the above-mentioned line. This parish is in the presbytery of Dundee, and synod of Angus and Mearns, and in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £280. The parish church was erected in 1812. There is a Free church and an United Presbyterian church at Newbigging, also four schools. At Carhills are cairns in which stone coffins, urns, deer horns, &c., have been discovered. At Camustown is a pillar marking the spot where Camus the Dane was buried in 1010."

"BANKHEAD, a hamlet in the parish of Monikie, in the county of Forfar, Scotland, close to Monilde."

"CAMUS-TOWN, a village in the parish of Monikie, in the county of Forfar, Scotland, 8 miles to the S.E. of Forfar. A battle took place here in 1010, in which Camus, the Dane, fell. His grave is said to be marked by the monument known as Camus Cross."

"CRAIGTON, a village in the parish of Monikie, in the county of Forfar, Scotland, 7 miles N.E. of Dundee. There is also another place of this name in the county of Linlithgow."

"DOWNIE, a village in the parish of Monikie, in the county of Forfar, Scotland, 6 miles S.E. of Forfar."

"GOULDIE, a village in the parish of Monikie, county Forfar, Scotland, within a short distance of the town of Monikie. There is also a seat of this name in the county Perth, near Clunie."

"GUILDIE and GUILDIEMUIR, villages in the parish of Monikie, county Forfar, Scotland, 3 miles N.E. of Dundee."

"NEWBIGGING, a village in the parish of Monikie, county Forfar, Scotland, 10 miles N.E. of Dundee. The village has an United Presbyterian church. It is situated in a hilly country, near the mouth of the river Tay."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]