[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"MURROES, (or Muirhouse), a parish in the district of Dundee, county Forfar, Scotland, 2½ miles from Dundee, its post town, and 7 S. of Forfar. It comprises the hamlets of Hole of Murroes, Bucklerhead, and Kellas. It extends in length about 3½ miles, with a breadth of 2½ miles, and is bounded by the parishes of Inverarity, Monikie, Monifieth, Dundee, Mains, and Tealing. The surface is of a hilly nature, and the greater part is in an excellent state of cultivation. The parish is traversed by the roads from Dundee to Forfar and Letham. This parish is in the presbytery of Dundee, and synod of Angus and Mearns, and in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £172. The parish church was erected in 1848. There is a parochial school."
"BUCKLERHEAD, a hamlet in the parish of Murroes, in the county of Forfar, Scotland, 7 miles to the S. of Forfar."
"HOLE OF MURROES, a hamlet in the parish of Murroes, county Forfar, Scotland, 8 miles S. of Forfar."
"KELLAS, a hamlet in the parish of Murroes, county Forfar, Scotland, 5 miles N.E. of Dundee."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]