"Dunoon, town, Cowal dist., Argyllshire, on W. shore of Firth of Clyde, 27 miles by river from Glasgow, pop. 4692; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 3 newspapers; extends more than 3 miles along the coast, and consists of Hunter's Quay to the N., Kirn, and Dunoon proper to the S., each with its separate steamboat pier. At the beginning of the present century it was a mere fishing village; it is now one of the most extensive watering-places on the Clyde. The mildness of its climate, and the amenity of its situation, have caused it to be selected as the site of a convalescent home. On a conical hill above the pier are the ruins of the old castle of Dunoon, formerly a residence of the Argyll family; adjacent is the modern castle of Dunoon. ..."
"Kilmun, vil. with quay, Dunoon and Kilmun par., Argyllshire, on N. side of Holy Loch, 7½ miles (by water) W. of Greenock, pop. 331; P.O.; is a watering-place, and has a seaside convalescent home (1874); of the collegiate church of Kilmun (founded 1442), only the tower remains, and a burial-vault of the Argyll family."
Extracts from John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887