DUNOON and KILMUN
"Dunoon, town, Cowal dist., Argyllshire, on W. shore of Firth of Clyde, 27 miles by river from Glasgow, pop. 4692; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 3 newspapers; extends more than 3 miles along the coast, and consists of Hunter's Quay to the N., Kirn, and Dunoon proper to the S., each with its separate steamboat pier. At the beginning of the present century it was a mere fishing village; it is now one of the most extensive watering-places on the Clyde. The mildness of its climate, and the amenity of its situation, have caused it to be selected as the site of a convalescent home. On a conical hill above the pier are the ruins of the old castle of Dunoon, formerly a residence of the Argyll family; adjacent is the modern castle of Dunoon. ..."
"Kilmun, vil. with quay, Dunoon and Kilmun par., Argyllshire, on N. side of Holy Loch, 7½ miles (by water) W. of Greenock, pop. 331; P.O.; is a watering-place, and has a seaside convalescent home (1874); of the collegiate church of Kilmun (founded 1442), only the tower remains, and a burial-vault of the Argyll family."
Extracts from John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887
The parish comprises the ancient parishes of Dunoon and Kilmun, and, besides the town and suburbs of Dunoon, contains the post-office villages of Sandbank, Kilmun, Strone, Blairmore, Ardentinny, Inellan, and Toward.
- Churches in Dunoon and Kilmun (NS175767):
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Dunoon and Kilmun area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
1881 23,711 1891 24,755