Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for National Gazetteer, 1868

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

National Gazetteer, 1868

Tarbolton - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

"TARBOLTON, a parish and small town in the district of Kyle, county Ayr, Scotland. It extends about 7 miles S.W., with an extreme breadth of 4 miles, and is bounded by the parishes of Craigie, Mauchline, Stair, St. Quivox, and Monkton. The surface is undulating, but nowhere exceeds 400 feet above sea-level. It was formerly moorland, but is now well cultivated and planted. Coal was worked at an early period. There are a flour mill, corn mills, tile kilns, and a manufactory for hones and razor-strops. The parish is traversed by the road from Ayr to Edinburgh, and is within easy access of the Mauchline and Monkton stations of the Glasgow and South-Western railway. The town of Tarbolton stands about 4 miles W. of Mauchline and 12 S.E. of Irvine. It is situated on the rivers Ayr and Feale, and was created a burgh of barony in the reign of Charles II., when it was granted to John Cunningham, Esq., of Enterkine. A townhall was erected in 1836. A large number of the inhabitants are employed in the cotton, woollen, and silk mills. This parish is in the presbytery of Ayr, and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. The stipend of the minister is £313. The parish church was erected in 1821. There are a Free church and an United Presbyterian church; also a school of industry for girls, besides other schools. The parish comprises the larger part of the old parish of Barnwell, with the ruins of Faile convent, situated about It mile N.N.W. of the village of Tarbolton. The monastery was founded in 1252 for Red Friars, and stood on the banks of the Faile rivulet, near Loch Faile. Near the ruins of the monastery are Willie's Mill and the "Castle of Montgomerie," and at Hood's Hill is a Danish camp. Burns the poet lived at Lochlee farm in the years 1780-83. The principal seats are Coilsfield, Enterkin, Smithston, Drumley, and Afton Lodge. Tarbolton gave title of baron to the Duke of Lennox in 1581. A cattle show is held on the first Monday in May, and a fair on the Tuesday following the 11th June."

Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003