"FOULDEN, a parish in the eastern part of the district of Merse, Berwickshire. It is of nearly a square form, 2 1/4 miles each way; and is bounded by the parishes of Ayton, Mordington, Hutton, and Chirnside. Its church is nearly equally distant from the towns of Ayton, Chirnside, and Berwick; and the last of these is the post-town. The surface rises in a gently inclined plane from south to north, and terminates in a ridge of heights."
View a Map of the Area.
from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
The Borders Family History Society has published a booklet of monumental inscriptions for Foulden and Mordington.
Nigel Hardie has transcribed and published parish of Foulden burials for 1817-1854.
Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's original publication of Pre-1855 Tombstone Inscriptions in Berwickshire (long out of print) but are also in the first volume of a new edition of these pre-1855 Berwickshire monumental inscriptions.
Graham and Emma Maxwell have transcribed and indexed the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census returns for this parish.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1682. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Archives of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For further details of this see the General Register Office for Scotland website.
For a relatively recent account see Jean Greenland's article "A walk around Foulden in the Thirties & Forties" published in the October 1996 edition of the Borders Family History Society magazine.
Ordnance Survey maps covering Foulden include:
Foulden is also covered by an old Victorian one-inch to the mile Ordnance Survey map published by Caledonian Maps. The relevant sheet is sheet number 34 "Eyemouth" which also includes Burnmouth, Chirnside, Cockburnspath, Coldingham, Edrom, Foulden, Grantshouse, Preston and St Abb's Head.
The National Archives of Scotland holds the following as part of its collection of maps and plans:
Here are some figures showing the parish's population through time:
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.