"KINGARTH, parish, comprising southern part of Bute Island, Buteshire. It has a post office under Rothesay, and contains the villages of Ascog, Kilchattan Bay, Kerrycroy, and Piperhall. Its length is 6 1/2 miles; its mean breadth about 2 1/2 miles; its area 8995 acres. Real property in 1880-81, £9943. Pop. 1260. About 4315 acres are arable, about 940 are under wood, and the rest of the land is pastoral or moorish. A chief feature is the Marquis of Bute's seat of Mount Stuart. The churches are 1 Established and 2 Free. There are 3 schools for 234 scholars, and 1 of them and a class-room for 75 are new."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]
Kilchattan Bay (village)
The parish church records are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
Records in the old parish registers (OPRs) for Kingarth parish span the following years:
Births or Baptisms ~ 1727 - 1854
Marriages or Banns ~ 1837 - 1854
Deaths or Burials ~ 1768 - 1786
- The transcription of the section for Kingarth from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.